AWS 2018 Race Report From Round 4 From North West Nitro

BRCA Articles

Click read more for the scoop on what happened at the forth round of the AWS 2018 at NWN


Well what a meeting at North West Nitro. We had 59 drivers arrive at the track on the Sunday. The drivers was greeted with a track covered in frost.

Booking in closed around 8:45 and we started racing at 9:15. Racing for the day started with a round of practice then three rounds of qualifying. During the practice round the drivers was starting to learn the track. After the practice round we started qualifying with the racing line on the track starting to become green again. Drivers commented how much grip there were even when the track was wet. During the qualifying period we saw the grip levels in the track changing and the drivers adapting to the changes.

There were some fantastic competition for the top spot.

After a short break while i sorted out the finals we went into the six finals. Starting with the 18 minute Truggy final. Competition was close. The top three drivers all finished on the same lap. How ever Darren Crutchley took the win, Local driver Gary Ogilvy came in second place. South Coast driver Andy Tanner finished third. Finally Mick Fallows finished in forth place. These drivers got promoted to the Truggy A Final later on in the day. The next final on the line was the D Final Buggy. Because of the fading light and being short for time. I had the make the decision I didn't want to, to shorted the final lengths for 18 minutes to 15 minutes for all the buggy finals.

During the D Final we saw a local driver Lewis Read taking the win and James Burgess taking second place. Electric driver Kevin Martindale finished in third place with a real nice buggy. Simon Grey came in forth place. These drivers got promoted to the C Final which was the next final on the line.

Andrew Fergerson won the C Final, Chris Gregory came in second place. James Hargreaves who hadn't raced an 8th car a while come in third place. And Neil Davies come in forth place. Of course same as the other drivers from previous races these drivers got bumped up to the B Final.

We gave the buggy drivers a break at this point to fun the 18 minute Truggy A Final.

The start of this race was amazing. The start of the race went really well and the top 4 drivers getting away and battling closely. After a slip ups by Carl O'Connor and loosing the lead to Jon Howells. After a great race Jon Howells won, Carl O'Connor was second Chris Cox was third, Finally Mick Kearns-Turner a local driver came on forth.

With the light fading fast we plowed straight into the Buggy B Final. Again a 14 car race that ran for 15 minutes. Local driver Simon Larkin won, Mark Isherwood another local driver came in second place. Driver for Tekno Matt Bridge came in third place. Finally Jamie Bowen finished forth place. These drivers again got promoted to the A Final.

The A Final was good. The top drivers giving us a good race to watch. I may or may not have been biting my nails because of the light disappearing fast. How ever just as night fell. Graham Alsop a driver for Hot Bodies won with a whole lap in front of everyone else. Local driver John Isherwood finished in second place. The guy behind RC Bodies Mick Butler finished in third place. Another Tekno driver Carlo DeMarco finished in forth place.

Great feedback about the track and venue. The meeting ran really well too. I would like to say thank you to the team at North West Nitro for hosting us again this year. Special shout out goes to Liz for feeding us all throughout the day. Thank you for those drivers that did a double stint of marshalling for the finals it is greatly appreciated.

I hope to see you all at the final round of the series on the 4th February at Deerdale Off Road

Until then see you!