Kane Farren wins at NORA to claim the 8th Stock Cars 2017 National Series title


23 drivers attended the last National Round, hosted by the Keighley based club. Conditions were chilly but very sunny during the morning and by the afternoon temperatures had soared into double figures.


All eyes were on the 3 drivers still in the hunt for the National Series. Ben Harding began the day at the top of the table, but he had to finish one place higher than Kane and avoid falling more than one place behind Alex Montague to retain his title. He put himself in the best position to do so by qualifying 1st. Alex retired early from his first heat and suffered chassis damage, rushing to Dick Batty’s workshop at lunchtime so they could weld his front bumper back together. Sam Wearing looked set to clinch the 2nd automatic qualification place, however a game of cat and mouse with Simon Farrer during heat 3 cost him too many laps and Alex - with his freshly repaired car - dominated his last two heats and finished narrowly in front of Sam after all the rounds had been completed.

The first semi-final saw Sam and Kane take the top 2 places, ahead of Dick who lost too much time at the start. Ian Yarwood and Steve Kinton were a few laps behind meanwhile Simon pulled off early. Scott Kinton made the most of his blue grade start and set off like a rocket in semi-final 2, extending his lead comfortably until his engine began to sound sick and lose power. Amelia caught and passed him to take the win. Steve Wearing inherited 2nd place for a few laps after Scott’s engine eventually cut, however Dave Gwilliam passed Steve late on, demoting the veteran to 3rd. Gary Osborne and Steve Farren both suffered a lot of crashes and tangles, finishing 4th and 5th. Scott didn’t reappear from the pits and was 6th.

The final was arguably the scrappiest race of the day. Amelia launched herself into Sam on lap 2, they tangled and lost a couple of laps before their cars were separated. The World Champion’s race was effectively ended after her engine cut and despite returning to the track, she came 6th. Alex’s hopes of winning his first title were crushed by more damage to his front bumper, which bent back against his outside tyre and limited his steering. He continued racing but dropped to 5th. Around midway in the race Sam ended up on his side after clipping a car stuck on the inside barrier, he clawed back a lot of ground and attempted a huge last bender on Dave for 3rd place – he missed and ended up finishing 4th, with Dave keeping the last podium position.

At the business end of the results, and with Alex now out of the running, Kane and Ben were fighting for the win and the National Series title. They were evenly matched on pace and both had suffered a few hold ups during the race. As the horn sounded for the end, nobody outside of race control knew who had won – but on the rostrum Kane began celebrating. His attitude quickly changed after seeing the results screen in the pits: zero laps. Ben 1st. There was a brief moment of confusion when a re-run was suggested because Kane’s transponder hadn’t been working, however he emerged from race control with a big grin on his face after his lap score had been confirmed by manual counting.

He was awarded the win and by finishing ahead of Ben he had secured the title by a solitary point. Well done, Kane!
There were 3 juniors at the meeting so a final was run for them. James Kinton took the win ahead of his brother, Ryan. The section’s youngest driver, Jack Teal, was 3rd.

Thanks to NORA for hosting the meeting, especially Kathy Batty who volunteered to run race control on her wedding anniversary! Good luck to Dick who has to repay that favour.

Sam Wearing #24